Pinch Proof Guide to Gift Etiquette
'Tis the season of giving, but present protocol can be intimidating. Inspired by Emily Post’s Etipedia, we created the Pinch Guide to Gift Etiquette to help take the mystery out of common giving dilemmas:
What do I give, and to who?
- Service workers - A cash tip is common to give a doorman or newspaper delivery person, while a small gift may be more appropriate for someone with whom you have a personal or long-term relationship, such as a hairstylist. Select a gift that’s thoughtful, but not too personal.
- Teachers - Always check your school’s gift policy before selecting a present. When gifts are permitted, many teachers appreciate pretty, practical gifts that they can use in and out of their classroom. When possible, involve your child in the gift by writing a thoughtful handwritten note of appreciation. Still not sure what to get her? Enter to win a gorgeous gift box of goodies for your teacher here!)
- Boss and coworkers - Generally, gifts aren’t exchanged at the office. An exception is when it’s a part of an organized holiday party gift exchange, for which the acceptable budget is agreed-upon. Business gifts should not be of a personal nature. If you wish to exchange gifts with a colleague whom you see socially, do it outside the office to avoid offending others.
How much should I spend? Giving is about being thoughtful and showing appreciation. So, don’t stress about giving gifts the have the same monetary value as what you may receive. Instead, focus on selecting the nicest gift that you can give within your budget.
Is re-gifting acceptable? Re-gifting is only acceptable when you are sure it won’t hurt someone’s feelings. When in doubt, opt not to re-gift! After all, the purpose of giving is to thoughtfully select something for those you care about.
How do I handle unexpected gifts? If someone surprises you with a gift, simply accept it graciously and thank her. It’s a good idea to have a small stash of gifts on hand that will work in a pinch. Choose thoughtful items that would appeal to a diverse group of recipients. Visit our “Gifts in a Pinch" board on Pinterest for ideas.
Pop quiz: What makes the perfect holiday gift for the teacher in your life?
We’ve got the answer to your gift dilemma with this gift box full of goodies that will pamper her both in and out of the classroom. Here are the details for creating this A+ gift yourself (from the top, clockwise):
- Kate Spade Patterened Erasers - Making mistakes will now be a happy accident with this playful set of striped and polka-dot erasers.
- Jumbo Fermagli Paper Clips - These colorful clips will add a touch of style to her desk while keeping her papers neatly organized.
- Rifle Paper Co. ‘Get it Done’ Notepad - A zebra illustrated notepad is a fun and quirky way for her to cross off her to-do list.
- Pinch Provisions Minimergency Kit for Teachers - This adorable red and gold polka-dot pouch is filled with 18 classroom essentials that make the grade, including a red grading pen and gold stars. The charming apple zipper pull will really make this kit the “apple” of her eye!
- Reisenthel Smart Shopper - Not only will she look smart toting this houndstooth shopper, but this lightweight bag holds up to 30 pounds. If only it graded all of those papers for her!
Want this gift for yourself? Here’s a homework assignment you’re going to like: Visit us on Facebook here for a chance to win this gift box for free!
Official rules: Like us on Facebook and comment here by 11:59 p.m. CST on 12/6/13 for a chance to win. We’ll randomly select one winner on Saturday. Prize must be claimed within 7 days, or a new winner will be randomly selected. Residents of the US, age 13 and over are eligible. Participants release Facebook from any liability. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, or in any way administered by or associated with Facebook.
Surprise! We are extending our special savings offer! Enjoy 10% off the entire site today with code GIFTSINAPINCH at checkout. www.pinchprovisions.com
We’re kicking off our Cyber Monday sale early! Use the code GIFTSINAPINCH at checkout to receive 10% off your purchase.
Offer ends at 11:59 p.m. CST on Monday, December 2. Must enter coupon code upon checkout to qualify for discount.
Happy Thanksgiving! May you get the long end of the wishbone this year.
To those celebrating the first night of Hanukkah tonight, we wish you a wonderful season of celebration!
Thanksgiving Prep, In a Pinch
Want to be the hostess with the mostess this Thanksgiving? The experts at Real Simple have put together “Thanksgiving 911" - a guide to planning the perfect Thanksgiving. It includes solutions to common rookie mistakes, like forgetting to thaw the turkey (just give it a bath!).
Shemergencies are the beauty blunders, fashion faux pas, and personal care predicaments that keep women from looking and feeling their best.
Our new and improved Shemergency Kit features updated packaging, a new brushed silver folding pouch, and enhanced contents. Two clear zip pockets provide easy access to more than three dozen essentials: folding hair brush/comb, mirror, hair spray, clear elastics, earring backs, hand lotion, nail clipper, emery board, clear nail polish, nail polish remover, mending kit, safety pin, double-sided tape, lint remover, stain remover, static remover, breath freshener, lip balm, dental floss, pain reliever, deodorant towelettes, tampon, adhesive bandages, facial tissues, blotting tissues, and blister balm.
Get yours today! Shop here.
Today is the last day to enter this week’s “Gifts in a Pinch” giveaway. Enter for a chance to win this gorgeous box of prepster goodies here.
Throwing a Friendsgiving celebration this weekend? We love the idea of creating a signature drink to toast the friend-filled feast, and we’ve curated our favorites on Pinterest. Try one of these fall cocktails to get the party started.